Thursday, May 9, 2013

Just Settling In

Well as you might have guessed, I have arrived in Germany safely. The last few days I've been getting to know the girls and trying to get over my jet lag (which is not that bad this time). I have stated planning my weekend trips. It's amazing how cheap you can get from one country to the next. I'm not sure where all I'm going just yet, a lot will depend on price, but London, Paris, Dublin, Berlin, and somewhere in Italy is defiantly on my list of "to-do's."  My first excursion, hopefully, will be the weekend of the 25th which will give me some time to get more familiar with Kaiserslautern first.

Yesterday I drove in a foreign country for the first time! It was a good experience, though I hope without someone telling me where to go I can find my way around, the roads and rules are somewhat different from the U.S. The autobahn is different than I expected. Certain areas have speed limits where others there are none. Further since you can drive so fast a minor finder bender backs the road up for miles.

 I never realized that the military base here is actually in about 7 different locations around the city. Each one is self contained, which is pretty amazing. You enter the base and It's like you are back in the U.S., except with military personal all around. Tomorrow the plan is to get my instillation pass so that I can enter the bases without a person signing me in and out. (This is so I can take the girls to lessons, go to the PX, the base library, go on base for German lessons, etc.).

No comments:

Post a Comment