Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Amsterdam

Well as usual I am behind in blogging, but I feel rightfully so. June 1st I took a trip to Amsterdam, but as soon as I got back I began prepping for a 4 day journey to London. So between planning, taking care of the girls, researching, planning, etc. things got a bit hectic. Anyway I'm back on the horse and ready to ride. 

What to say about Amsterdam, crazy, fun, and way to much to do for the 12 hours I had there. It was the first city I felt completely and totally overwhelmed by the shear number of people. I enjoy city life, but this was just to much. Don't get me wrong, I loved the visit and the sites/ places to visit, but the queues everywhere were crazy. 

This trip, like the others I have taken, was do so via the ODR. So we left K-town (aka Kaiserslaughtern) at 4am and got the city at around 10am. I decided to explore this city alone, since there was noone on the bus I really made a connection with along the way.

 I had bought the Amsterdam tourist pass so it was one fee for several museums I wanted to see. I navigated my way to the Rijksmuseum. The next quote I got for the internet explaining what was there. 

"The museum has on display 8,000 objects of art and history, from their total collection of 1 million objects from the years 1200–2000, among which are some masterpieces by RembrandtFrans Hals, and Johannes Vermeer. The museum also has a small Asian collection which is on display in the Asian Pavilion."

I really enjoyed the Rijksmuseum, and saw many paintings I had once only studied from a book. 

From there I made my way to the Van Gogh museum that was just across the way. Anyone who knows me well knows my love of Van Gogh, so of course that was a "must-do" on my list. Best of all I got to see my favorite painting "The Potato Eaters."



After two museums I was ready for a change of pace, I made my way back to where I started in the center of town in order to take a boat ride through some of the several canals that are in Amsterdam  I really enjoyed this tour because I got to relax, eat a pretzel and see many more of the main sites of Amsterdam including the Anne Frank house. 

With just a few hours left I ended the day with eating and shopping of course. I wandered up and down the busy streets stopping at whatever caught my eye. My best souvenir yet... wooden shoes! While wandering I run up on a protest against the Turkish media that of course I had to stop and film/take photos of. 

I hope one day I can go back and see some sites I had missed.

Tips for Amsterdam:
**"Coffee shops" are to be avoided, as they are code names for where to get drugs.
**Do NOT enter the red light district
**Watch your belongs careful and count your money from vendors
**Pot is sold... pretty much everywhere, so just be aware and watch out
**See the sights, have fun, just don't be stupid




No comments:

Post a Comment