Friday, July 19, 2013

A little more Germany with a mix of Luxembourg

Saturday July 13 my plan was to go to Munich and Dachau on another trip with the local ODR, but after  nice little drive through the town at 4 am I discovered that they had canceled the trip and forgot to inform me. Needless to say I was rather disgusted and disappointed since that is one of the trips I was looking forward to the most.

So at the last minute I decided I would take some trips closer to K-town so it would not be a waste of a weekend, and on the positive side I have since discovered that the USO offers the same trip the last weekend I will be in Germany! Still disappointed about the whole thing, since that means I will have to shuffle my other plans for that weekend, but I'll survive.


On Saturday I went to the local Japanese garden followed by the nearby town of Otterberg for dinner with Tiffany and the girls:

The Japanese garden seems like a perfect place to just get away from the city for a bit, relax and journal. I really need to get back there without the girls before I leave and just… reflect. I love the little red bridge they have there going over a nice waterfall. Who would have guessed right in the middle of town such a thing existed. If you couldn’t see the building from outside the trees, you would think you were in a totally different place.

Otterberg I loved! Not because of all the things to do and see, but because of its simple beauty. I have decided, if possible, that is where I want to live when I come back. It has a smaller feel to it, warm and inviting, I guess would be a more accurate description. When we first arrived the bells at the church in the center of town were ringing, and echoing off the local hills, it was the kind of thing that just makes you stop for a moment and go “wow.” You can’t find that anywhere in the US, at least nowhere I have ever been.

I cannot express how excited I am to come back next year and work here. I say it over and over again, but the more I learn the more working here seems so perfect for what I want right now in life.

The next day, Sunday I went to Luxembourg City, Luxembourg and Trier, Germany. Trier was a last a last minute decision so I went to the city without a plan, but I wish I would have had more time, also with it being a Sunday although the main sights were open several of the little shops that really help make a trip were closed.

While in Luxemburg I visited Place d' Armes, Luxembourg's Notre Dame Cathedral, and Adolphe Bridge just to name a few places I ventured.  I had written down the top places to see for Luxembourg, but had no set plan. It was a relaxing walk of randomly wondering the city.

One of my favorite places to visit while I was there is this random church I happen to run across. I don't even remember the name. But when I entered the place was entirely empty with some music playing in the background. Down the center aisle in between the pews was a whole row of candles. The cathedral was simple, but in that simplicity was so much beauty. It was a great place to just light a candle, reflect, and take a moment to appreciate the now.







As I mentioned above, I wish I had more time in Trier. Of the two cities I visited that day Trier was my favorite. It seemed like a very "artsy" city that was filled with history, churches, old buildings, and tons to do. Unfortunately I arrived at around 3pm an most places began to close around 6pm so I didn't have to much time.



(The picture above and two the left are of the main cathedral in the town. It was so magnificent, as many churches are here.)









 

No comments:

Post a Comment